Quick Setup Checklist
Here’s a quick checklist to assist you to quickly get your sites up and running in the new ClickBump theme together with the new XFactored 2.0 add-on template…
- Install and Activate ClickBump theme (get the latest from the member’s dashboard. Unless the file says “Upgrade”, install as a New Theme via Appearance > Install Themes. If the file is an upgrade: clickbump_upgrade.zip, install at ClickBump > Home > Add/Upgrade template)
- Download and install XFactored 2.0 Premium Template (ClickBump > Home > Add/Upgrade Templates)
- Set your home page post as a “Sticky” post and add to “dont-show-ads” via “Quick Edit” link. The home page’s content is used as intro for the categories. No need to set up a static home page, ClickBump does this automatically when you assign a single post as sticky. (Posts > Quick Edit > Make this post sticky). Also, to emulate the clean look home page you seen in the screenshot, enable the dont-show-ads flag so that Ads do not appear on the home page grid area. They will still appear on post articles and category landing pages, and in the header area widgets if you’ve set them up.
- Create or update your categories. You willupload a custom category image, full text description and add a custom category title via the enhanced Category Manager made possible by ClickBump theme. The theme automatically creates the teaser description summaries that you see on the homepage. Make sure they end with a period punctuation to mark the end of the excerpt.
- Assign each of your posts to the appropriate category (other than “Uncategorized”). This is the essence of creating a silo site structure with themed content and the key to gaining “Authority” status with Google. For best results, go to “WordPress Settings > Writing > Default Post Category” and select any category other than “Uncategorized” as your default category. Never delete or re-parent Uncategorized. It holds the critical ClickBump utility functions that allow you to do lots of cool stuff with posts.
- Go to Appearance > Widgets and drag a Categories Widget over into the “Sidebar” widget area. This creates the list of category button links just as John discusses on page 132. The XFactored 2.0 template automatically creates the button styling for you using the color you specify in “Color 4” in theme options. You’ll also want to check “ClickBump > Layout > Move > Sidebar Widgets Above Menus”
- Activate the Homepage Category Index in theme options – Go to “ClickBump > Layout > Category Index > Enable” and tick the checkbox, then select one of the three options from the “Category Index > Layout” setting just below it and click “Apply Changes”. This will turn on the display of your categories in your selected view (grid view or list view).
- Theme Options Settings: To emulate John’s example site exactly down to the last detail enable these options:
- Layout > Category Index > Enable
- Layout > Category Index > Layout > List View (1 column)
- Ads > Divider line
- Ads > Adsense Stacked Ads
- Menus > Latest News > Enable
- Menus > Related Articles > Enable
- Layout > Move > top-menu Links to Sidebar
- Layout > Show > Sitemap Link
- Layout > Move > Sidebar Widgets Above Menus
- Upload a custom header.png via “ClickBump > Images > Header Image > Upload Header” – see this post if you need help creating it. Click “Show Help” to see all the color options for the template. The size is 967px wide x 100px tall (in pixels) and must be a PNG file format saved as “header.png”
← More from Tutorials